Valentine's Day Lapbooking

          I don't know about you, but I'm pretty addicted to lapbooking! I'm really excited about this new Valentine's Day lapbook I created to use with my students, and I uploaded it to Teachers Pay Teachers so that you can use it with your students, too! Here's a little tour of the lapbook complete with some links that you might find useful for your Valentine's Day study! :)


          The left side of the lapbook is focused on friendship and kindness. I wanted to make the lapbook relevant to children and help them make personal connections with the holiday. Students will complete the sentences "Friends can..." "Friends have..." and "Friends are..." They will also create a mini-book full of ways to show kindness.

          I've also included vocabulary in the lapbook. Students will define five "LOVEly" words and will explore the word "love." They will look up both the dictionary definition of love, and will write their own definition of love. This is a great way to introduce the concept of connotation and denotation, and help students connect with the idea of "love."

          Of course, meaning is not just limited to words, so students will also be asked to explore the meanings of symbols related to Valentine's day. The symbols I have selected for our study are hearts, lovebirds, roses, and (of course) cupid. I found some explanations of the symbols HERE and HERE that I plan to pick and choose from for our study.

          When I was researching Valentine's Day for this lapbook, I also came across an interesting tidbit! Valentine's Day is celebrated in MANY countries around the world. I thought THIS article was particularly interesting, so I included a booklet where students could write about traditions in Japan, Guatemala, Ghana, and the Philippines. We will look up these countries in an atlas or on a map or globe, too! 

          On the back of the lapbook, we will write about the history of Valentine's Day. We will probably use THIS resource from ABC Teach to help us. If you'd rather keep it secular, there non-religious resources for the history of Valentine's Day out there, too. It might be interesting to research the history of Valentine's Day cards, for example. Anything that doesn't fit into our history of Valentine's Day can go into the "Fun Facts" booklet. There are some unique facts on THIS website. For example, did you know that nearly 10 MILLION pet owners buy Valentines for their pets each year? 

          Finally, we will write a little poem about Valentine's Day to go in our lapbook. Honestly, we will probably just write an acrostic poem using the word "Valentine" because that will give us a chance to reflect on all that we learned. If you wanted, you could also copy a poem about love or friendship into the foldable instead of writing one.

          I absolutely cannot wait to assemble this lapbook with my kiddos! If you'd like to make one, too, you can find it in my TpT store by clicking HERE, or clicking on the image above! If you end up making it, let me know what you think! I always love getting feedback and seeing pictures of completed projects! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment